Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Just Call Me Senorita Betty Crocker

I came back from a long weekend out of town to messages on the answering machine. One from Jackie/Chad's aunt/RS president/good friend. I love Aunt Jackie, so I was excited to call her back and talk for hours like we always end up doing. Well, she was hesitant to ask because I have a busy week with Kammie's wedding coming up, but she asked me to not go to the store for a week. The point, to see how prepared I am. Ha!

My first thought, "How can I get out of this? I have so much going on this weekend."

Second thought, "Okay, I'll do it because I love Jackie. But if I need something, I'll ask my awesome friend, Shelby, to pick it up for me. It's not ME going to the store." See Shelby is my grocer anyways. She calls me all the time to ask if I need anything from the store. Thanks Shelby! I love ya!

Then I find out Cindy is doing it also. So I call her and she is getting ALL into it. They were even talking about making their own dog food!!! Talk about putting me to shame! I felt like a lazy *$%. Cindy inspired me and she doesn't even know it. So I bucked up and tried to take this like a pioneer woman!

Last night the kids wanted tacos. I was thinking, "Perfect, I know I have everything for that." I started cooking the meat and beans, chopped up the toppings, and pulled out my TWO tortillas. I break out a sweat. We can either each take a third of a shell or make them. Then I remember that Cindy gave me her recipe for homemade torts. I was actually excited to try it. The kids are so picky and always like the same stuff, so I expected them to complain. So I told them that the church asked us to do this and I need the practice with this Swine flu going around. I begged them to be good sports and expect the worst! They were awesome about it.

I made the torts and it was fun. VERY proud of myself! Can't imagine doing it everyday like these awesome mexican women - I was plum tired after rolling and rolling to get them thin. Not to mention as round as possible. It's hard to get those suckers round. I remember Cindy saying that she got elephants and giraffes when she rolled hers out, and she has the royal mexican blood in her!
Anyways, I have to say that it excited me to be more brave and that MAYBE we could survive on tortillas if needed. BTW, the kids loved them!


Oh yeah, check out those babies!

11 comments:

Cox Family News said...

I think we should have a Mexican dinner for a ward activity and have you make the tortillas!!
You are so funny Jaycie. Good luck on not going to the grocery store. Do you like powdered milk?
Aunt Lorrie

Going Family said...

I can't get my tortillas to come out round either, but I keep trying to master that skill. Keep up the good work. Being creative with food is hard at first, but it can be pretty fun.

Jodie said...

Good job Jaycie! Very impressive!

Nate, Brittney and Ryan said...

Yum! I love homemade tortillas... never made them, but I have had them and they are so good.

AOlson said...

Wow!! Jaycie!! thatis so NEAT!! I couldn't accept that challenge. I think we would starve!! Great job on the torts!!!

ab5cgang said...

LOL. I love you Jaycie. You are so funny. If it makes you feel any better Sister Whitaker called and asked if I could feed the missionaries this Sunday and I told her Tuesday would be better. I am just not sure what I will have by Sunday.
Your torts look amazing! I was just thinking maybe friday I would try bread. We can do this. But I have been asking people wondering who is all doing this. So far you and I. Jeff said he wishes he was.

The Edwards Family said...

where's the recipe? I need to try those.

Jarom and Melissa said...

Good for you for taking that on, especially with Cami's wedding coming up. Great job thinking of the homemade tortillas. I'm sure they were good. That's a very interesting idea that maybe we'll have to try. I wonder how prepared we really are and if I have what it takes to be as crafty as you in the kitchen. Way to live off your resources!
-- Melissa

Jaime said...

I think they look great. How good of you to stick to the request.

Unknown said...

yikes, a applaud your determination. I would have had to START the challenge AFTER making a trip to the store!

GO Jaycie! They do look yummy, I may need the recipe?

melanie said...

I love that I saw you when your cart was full, full after a week of no shopping. Way to go on not shopping, thanks for the example.